Pathology is the science of what causes a disease and what the effects are. The GRMC Pathology Department plays a vital role in the diagnosis and treatment of disease.
Our Pathology Department is equipped with sophisticated technology to analyze and interpret the results of the fluid and tissue samples submitted to them. The Pathology team works together with your primary care physician and our specialists to make the right diagnosis and help plan the best course of treatment.
GRMC’s lab manager is Steve Shuryn. He has a Bachelor of Science degree from Fairleigh Dickinson University in Teaneck New Jersey and he completed a Technology Internship at Muhlenberg Hospital in Bethlehem Pennsylvania. During his career he has worked in the Spectra East Renal Dialysis Laboratory, Quest Diagnostics Laboratories, Laboratory Corporation of America Laboratories as well as at the Muhlenberg Hospital. In all, Steve has 42 years of laboratory management experience.
“Our goal in the GRMC Lab is providing quality test results for our patients,” says Steve.
GRMC’s Pathology Department offers:
• General Surgical Pathology, including gross and microscopic, emergency consultation, cervical and vaginal cytology, special cytology for fluids like sputum and urine, and needle aspiration cytology.
• Clinical Pathology, including blood banking, clinical chemistry, hematology, microbiology, bone marrow and fine needle biopsy.
• Cytopathology to aid in the diagnosis of cancer, thyroid lesions, inflammatory conditions and certain infectious diseases.
• Surgical Pathology which is the study of tissues removed from living patients during surgery to help diagnose a disease and determine a treatment plan.
• Blood Banking services – supplies provided by the Blood Bank of Hawaii.